Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Suspicion


As a K9, I try to avoid foolish entanglements in the world of Human Politics. It is too similar to crossing a property line that has already been marked by another dog. (You do the math.) Recently, however, I heard of something that has me a bit mystified.

I understand that a conversation is afoot about deporting all the “illegal aliens” currently residing in the US. I have a difficult time seeing how this can happen smoothly.
Please help me out here:
· Will people be rounded up based on “looking Mexican?”
· Will homes and apartments be searched?
· Will neighbors and co-workers be expected to turn each other in?
· Will neighbors and co-workers become the proud new owners of all the vehicles, homes, furniture, etc, of people once they are deported?
· Perhaps most importantly, who will get rich off this endeavor? Because certainly someone will.

Something similar to this was tried before; I think it was called “The Fugitive Slave Law,” and it led to Civil War. But I may ask dear Kathleen (the woman who helps me) to double-check my facts. She’s always so helpful with that, after she finishes my dishes.
Humans, please let me caution you in this endeavor. Your communities are already stratified and brittle. Please think twice before you mandate suspicion.

Ever,
~~Basia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is my understanding that the thought behind deporting those who may be here illegally is that it would be done through the process of presenting documentation of citizenship when applying for a job, license, etc. (or that they are going through the process of becoming citizens).
Also, if people are caught violating the law, and are here illegally, they would be returned to their country of origin.
There would need to be safeguards in place to prevent the types of activities you suggested of course.

Basia said...

Wally, that comforts me greatly. Thank you for your input.