Monday, May 5, 2008

The Center of the Bell Curve


Just in from my Afternoon Constitutional. Dear Kathleen (the woman who helps me) enjoys toweling off my paws after a walk on rainy afternoons, so I always let her. As she was touching up my pedicure, I reviewed some of the key blogs I track on Gmail Reader. Seth Godin’s new post reflects his usual brilliance, and I wanted to share it with my readers.


As always, please let me confirm that none of these ideas—not even one—originate with me. I am merely the conduit. My prayer is that I might accessorize the message with my own certain cachet…my own…je ne sais quois.


Now then, please note the above illustration. This represents the rise and fall of that which is “cool” in pop culture. The bell curve on the left represents the enthusiasm cycle of the True Hipsters. And you know who you are; you are the one with the Scandinavian shoes. Your wine glass has no stem. Your irony throbs.

The bell curve on the right, conversely, represents the enthusiasm cycle of the Unwashed Masses. In the push and shove of 24/7, discerning the difference between “passé” and “edgy” becomes a luxury you would rather not afford. Your entertainment may be pre-digested, but it comforts and lightens a heavy load. It is popular for a reason.

To put it differently, this diagram illustrates that the farther you go to the right, the closer you get to Branson.

Seth Godin speaks to the artsy types, who find themselves between the bell curves. He encourages them to make a choice.
I, however, would like to encourage you (my Gentle Reader) to embrace the curve you’re in, and enjoy it. Apologize to no one. Every bit of artistic expression legitimately requires an audience. Enjoy it. Relax. Put your feet up.

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I promised Kathleen we would listen to that Barbara Mandrell CD before bedtime.

Ever~~
Basia

1 comment:

l said...

Soooo funny!
I agree -- be who you are, in whatever bell curve state you find yourself in. As my yoga teacher used to say " be where you are".

Krista